Thursday, October 21, 2010

Unit five

I rarely use the word "but". To me, "but" implies some exclusion or some exclusionary action, like "I'd love to help you rake the leaves but I have to go wash my hair", leaving one to rake the leaves alone. Or, how about this- "We're all going to the park but you have to do your homework."
I like to use "and". To me, "and" is the little engine that could. "And" pulls everything together, includes all the parts. For example, 'I heard what you said and I didn't quite understand it." There, I've managed to convey that I heard you. I've also told you that I didn't get it.
It'll take a while and eventually I'll replace "but" in my life. I am trying to be as inclusive as I possibly can.
And, don't worry professors; I'll use "but" in all my papers.
I can please myself AND all my instructors.

No comments:

Post a Comment