Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Goose is getting fat

Yep, the goose is getting fat alright.
I don't eat meat as a rule however, the raw diet ain't cheap.
 That Goose is looking mighty fine.
It's getting to that part of the financial juggling act where one has to weigh food or bills. Pay utilities or pay school.
Who will get gifts this gift-giving season? Fortunately for me ( and the goose ) I grew up in a very large family with a father who never let us look at lack. He shopped at the local farmer's market long before it was the fashionable thing to do.  It was simply the least expensive to get good food for his growing tribe. It cost waay too much to eat boxed and packaged things! Those Betty Crocker cakes semed so exotic to me back then. I drooled at the thought of them. Until I tasted one. Never wanted one again. Too airy, not enough "cake" taste. Lots of chemical taste, though. Maybe my taste-buds are just too sensitive.
At annual gift-giving time ( I won't say Christmas so that I won't offend...), when cash was tight, Daddy would have us wrap empty boxes as festive as we possibly could. It wasn't a trick; we all knew that certain boxes were as empty as a politician's promise. The heart, though - the heart saw all of the abundance under the tree and was glad. So, that might be just the ticket this year.
We have a bumper crop of babies around here and they will all get gifts. The grown-ups? Well, all those happy babies and all those brightly wrapped boxes work out pretty well. Merry Gift-Giving Time, everyone!
You, too, Goose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment